Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day, Senor Puss!

As you all hopefully know, it's Father's Day! My dad is actually in CT right now, so he opened up his card before he left, and then we exchanged some little text messages today.

So yeah, I know the nickname Senor Puss is a little scary, but if you're a true fan of my blog, you've read all my posts...and one in particular, talks about how I have problems with nicknames. They pop into my head magically from seemingly no where and then never leave. Instead, they evolve into even stranger nicknames over time. My therapist thinks it's cute (jk - I don't have a therapist). 

I believe my dad's nickname started as "Google" because if you ask him a question, even if he doesn't know the answer (which usually doesn't happen - he usually does actually know the answer to everything), he'll dispense some scholarly and knowledgeable made up answer that seems completely feasible...without even thinking about it for 5 seconds. In fact, it's a wee bit worrisome/concerning. 

Then, that nickname morphed into "Goog L. Puss" (no clue why - I guess I felt bad a gross last name and a middle initial weren't fairly represented). 

And then I think it became shortened to just "Senor Puss" when we got to Florida...mostly because our fully furnished house rental also came furnished with a weekly yard worker named Pedro (he is of the ethnic persuasion in case you're oblivious, and our landlord calls him "Ped-row" which is obviously not to be confused with the proper pronunciation of "Paid-row"). 

So, because my dad would sometimes imitate Ped-row (and by "sometimes", I mean pretty much all the time, or at least whenever my mom left the room and I'd politely ask), he got the word Senor added to his name.

There you have it folks. I knew it would be simple to explain.





Once in a while I call him "Dad" because I figure it can't be all that wonderful to basically be nicknamed the male version of Spanish/Mexican vagina...and, if there's any day to call him by his rightful title, it's today! 

My dad has always been extremely hardworking, dedicated to our family, smart, providing, a good teacher, calm, patient, etc. He rarely yelled unless he was very, very mad about something Ben (not me) did/broke. He's done tons of stuff around the house including all the manly things you can think of, many feminine things like gardening, painting, etc...and he's never been the type to just sit down and drink in front of the tv while watching sports, like I've seen so many dads do. 

And, he continues to wash the dishes every night which is something I can recall from even my earliest childhood days. Not to mention, his relationship with my mom is a wonderful and strong model for what every relationship should strive to uphold.

I feel bad now that I didn't write an equally nice Mother's Day post about my mom on Mother's Day. So, mom, if you're reading this, I love you in the same (just different) ways too!

Happy Father's Day Senor Puss! I love you, and thanks for all that you've done and continue to do with a smile on your face!

No comments:

Post a Comment